So you’re in Belgium… Now what? We’ve overheard people saying Belgium is boring. We think they are crazy! There’s so much to do, see, eat and explore in this diverse little country, it’s hard to know where to start. That’s where we come in.
CheeseWeb.eu is a travel resource for expats and locals too. We discover the little known attractions in Belgium and across Europe. We aim to make relocating more fun and exciting, and a little bit easier too. CheeseWeb is full of inspiring photography of beautiful travel destinations. We have a warm and helpful community and new-comers are always welcome. We hope you enjoy it!
If this is your first time on CheeseWeb.eu, you may be a little overwhelmed and not know where to begin. This is the page for you. Follow these steps to become fully integrated into the CheeseWeb Family!
Step One: Indulge Your Passion for Travel
We here at CheeseWeb love to travel – In Belgium, in Europe and around the world. If you love to travel too, check out our free CheeseWeb Escapes Ezine. We feature a new Belgian or European destination, each month, providing you with a full itinerary of what to see and do and where to eat and sleep, all personally tested by us!
Love the photos you see on CheeseWeb? Alison has put her passion for Belgium into print. Check out the Beautiful Belgium Photography book.
Step Two: Be Part of the Community
We post current events, breaking news and links to things we love on our Facebook Page. We have a growing community there, ready to answer your questions.
We try to answer every email and comment we receive so if there’s something you want to tell us, good, bad or ugly – Let us know! We will answer your questions to the best of our ability – just be patient as there’s only two of us.
If you are curious about who is behind CheeseWeb.eu, and how it came to be, check out our about page for our expat story.
Step Three: Dive In
There are over 650 posts on CheeseWeb – You have a lot of reading to catch up on! Ok, ok – If you want a shortcut, here are some of our most popular posts:
- Life as a Trailing Spouse – The First Six Months – The first six months are the hardest to get through. Here is how I coped.
- 10 Tips for Successful Expat Living – Our top tips for surviving expat life.
- Expatriating with Pets - How we moved to Belgium with 4 cats and a Saint Bernard.
- Home Sweet Home - Where exactly is home when you are an expat?
- Singing the Expat Blues - How to deal with Expat Depression
- 7 Reasons Expat Life Sucks – We love being expats, but that doesn’t mean everything is perfect.
- Finding Yourself as a Trailing Spouse: What to do When You Can’t Work – Having a hard time filling your days? I did too.
All About Belgium:
- 25 Things You Didn’t Know About Belgium - Belgians don’t always blow their own horns.
- Top 20 Signs You’ve Been an Expat in Brussels Too Long - A humorous looks at this quirky country.
- 3 Foodie Travel Secrets for Brussels, Belgium - Our favourite foodie tips
- Working in Belgium – Contractors vs Employees – How working here differs from North America
- Impress Your Friends with 20 Famous Belgians – Think Belgians are boring? Think again.
- Brussels Christmas Market :: Plaisirs d’Hiver - The annual Christmas Market in Grand Place, Brussels
- Musée Magritte Museum Brussels - Dedicated to Belgium’s favourite artist, René Magritte
- Coudenberg, Former Palace of Brussels, Belgium - Head underground in Brussels
- Three Spas in Belgium We Love – Belgian’s understand the art of relaxation
Technology in Belgium:
- Internet Service Providers in Belgium - How to get on-line in Belgium
- Computer Shopping in Belgium - Where to go when your computer runs slow
- Backup Your Expat Life! - Don’t lose everything while living abroad
- Mobile Internet in Belgium – Update - What are the options for mobile internet plans?
- Online Social Networks in Belgium - Fed up with Facebook? Try these
Businesses in Belgium we love:
- MexiGo – Mexican Food in Brussels - Home-made Mexican food delivered to your door.
- Hopdog – Healthy Hotdogs in Brussels – Quick fresh and delicious
- English Books in Brussels – My Favourite Book Stores - Where to buy English book in Brussels
- Dod – Affordable Fashion in Belgium - Clothes shopping at great prices
- Kam-Yuen Asian Market, Brussels - For when you crave all things Asian
- Belgian Chocolate Shops in Brussels, Grand Sablon - Belgian chocolate, need we say more?
- Reason2.be - Organic Vegetables Delivered to Your Door
- Jack O’Shea’s Butcher - Organic meats and new world wines in Brussels
- Indian Grocery in Brussels – Ideal Cash and Carry, Molenbeek – Get all of your Asian favourites here
- Britxos – British Tapas Restaurant and Shop in Brussels – You need to eat here!
- Etiquette Wine Bar and Shop in Brussels – Lovingly referred to at CheeseWeb HQ South
How to Leave Belgium – Travelling from Belgium by Plane, Train or Automobile – Our massive post on travel in and out of Belgium
Favourite Travel Destinations in Belgium:
- Montaigle Castle Ruins, Falaën, Belgium - A great day-trip from Brussels
- Belgium’s Top Ten Spring Sights for Garden and Nature Lovers - I love gardens!
- Abbey Notre-Dame d’Orval – Belgium – Beer, Cheese and beautiful views
- Coloma Rose Garden, Sint-Pieters-Leeuw, Belgium - Stop and smell the roses
- Ypres World War One Museums – Seeing Flanders through the eyes of the soldiers
- The Plantin-Moretus Printing Museum, Antwerp – A surprising and wonderful museum
- Sleep with Angels in Mechelen – Martin’s Patershof Hotel – One of our favourite Belgian hotels
- Abbey Villers in Wallonia Belgium – Fairy-tale pretty ruins to explore in Wallonia
- Belgium in Summer – 5 Things We Love – Belgians head south in the summer, but maybe you shouldn’t
- Pairi Daiza Zoo and Botanical Garden in Wallonia, Belgium – Explore the world without leaving the country.
Favourite Travel Destinations in Europe:
- A Road-trip to the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Greece - A beautiful day-trip from Athens
- Krakow, Poland – A Beautiful Weekend Break - One of our newest favourite places
- Holling Grange, Herefordshire, England - Stunning self-catering cottages near Wales
- The Alhambra and Generalife of Granada, Spain in Photos – We travelled all over Andalusia and this was a favourite stop
- Sardinia – Alghero to Capo Caccia - Exploring this Italian island
- A Weekend in Berlin, Germany - A great city-break
- Exploring Bitche in Lorraine, France – An easy day-trip from Belgium
- Kylemore Abbey, Connemara, Ireland – Visiting a dream castle in Ireland
Favourite Travel Destinations Abroad:
- Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, Canada - A beautiful Island in my home province
- Viva Las Vegas! - My first trip to Sin City
- 7 Reasons you should visit Maritime Canada – Why we love our home provinces, and you should too.
- Travel from Belgium to India – It’s Easier than you Think – Asia is closer and cheaper than you may expect.
- Surrendering to India – Lesson One – We learned so much on our first visit to India.