We’ve been living our expat adventure for over ten years now, and while we consider ourselves old pros now, it wasn’t easy in the beginning. Alison’s transition was particularly tough, as she not only had to deal with the cultural issues of living in a new country, by she also had to come to terms with her new identity as a trailing spouse.
In our early days in Belgium, Alison wrote extensively about both the culture shock of being in a new country and her difficulty adjusting to life as a trailing spouse. As she grew more comfortable with both, Alison began to offer tips and practical advice on adjusting to the changes.
If you’re struggling with expat life in Belgium (or expat life in general) read Alison’s Love Letter to Belgium for a look at her expat journey.
Below you’ll find all of our articles about expat related topics and general resources for living in Belgium. For more general help for expats and trailing partners living abroad visit the Resources for Expats and Trailing Spouses page and be sure to visit our Belgium section for plenty of ideas on what to do, see, and eat.
Where to Live in Brussels
- Our Most Frequently Asked Question – “Where Should I Live in Brussels, Belgium?”
- Our Second Most Frequently Asked Question – “Where Should I (or my visitors) stay in Brussels?”
Our Belgian Citizenship Saga
- Applying for Belgian Citizenship – Again
- Getting Belgian Nationality – the Continuing Saga
- Applying for Belgian Citizenship – Eventually
Meeting People in Belgium
- Visiting Champagne with the Expat Club, Brussels, Belgium
- 3 Reasons You Don’t Have Many Belgian Friends (guest post)
- 5 Tips on Where to Meet People in Brussels, Belgium
Education in Belgium
Health and Wellness in Belgium
Doing Business in Belgium
Renting, Furnishing, and Leaving your Home in Belgium
- The Expat’s Guide to Furnishing – How to buy furniture in Belgium (guest post)
- Leaving Your Rental Property in Belgium – a Checklist (guest post)
- Flashback: What you should Bring when you Move to Belgium
Shopping & Services in Belgium
- Our Top Belgian Gift Ideas from Amazon
- International Food Shops in Brussels, Belgium
- Resto Last Minute Restaurant Booking Website Review
- English Bookshops in Brussels (guest post)
- Mobile Internet in Belgium – Update
- Internet Service Providers in Belgium
Living in Belgium
- 10 Things I’ve Learned Living in Brussels, Belgium (guest post)
- Road Rage | Flashback
- When English Rules | Flashback
- Top 20 Signs You’ve Been an Expat in Brussels Too Long
- In Which Our Parked Car Causes an Accident
- A Clue! or A Day in the Life of a Belgian Commune
Looking for something more general about life as an expat? Visit our Resources for Expats and Trailing Spouses page.