Our best photos of Prague’s architecture. Take a virtual tour of the stunning buildings from Prague Castle to Art Nouveau to modern architechture in the capital of the Czech Republic.
This spring I had the opportunity to visit Prague, with my visiting parents. It was the first time any of us had been to the Czech Republic and I was particularly taken with the city’s architecture. The styles ranged from the Gothic St Vitus Cathedral to the Art Deco hotels of the city centre to the modern curved design of the ‘Dancing House’. The following collection includes my favourite photos of the architecture of Prague.
It’s not possible to explore central Prague without at least spotting glimpses of Prague Castle perched above the city. This huge complex is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and listed in the Guinness Book of World Record’s as the world’s largest castle.
The best views of the castle are from the banks of the Vltava River where you can see the entire royal complex as well as views of the Charles Bridge.
Two more of my favourite architecture photos were taken inside the Prague Castle complex. The first is a detail of one of the beautiful buildings in the Prague Castle Gardens.
The second set of photos comes from inside Saint Vitus’ Cathedral. This Gothic cathedral contained some of the most stunning stained glass windows I’ve seen. My favourite, seen here, was designed by the Czech Art Nouveau master, Alphonse Mucha.
Speaking of Art Nouveau, Prague has some excellent examples. In fact, the city centre has the highest concentration of beautiful Art Nouveau and Art Deco facades I’ve seen outside of Belgium. Our first look at the city centre began on the bustling Wenceslas Square.
Here we spotted many beautiful facades as we wandered deeper into the historic centre, towards the Old Town Square.
One of the most striking Art Nouveau buildings is the Municipal House, home to shops, restaurants and a beautiful concert hall.
More Art Nouveau goodness can be found along the Vltava Riverfront. Buildings appear here in a whole rainbow of colours.
A highlight for me, however, was spotting something a little more modern – the ‘Dancing House,’ also known as Fred and Ginger. This stunning piece of architecture was designed by Croatian-Czech architect Vlado Milunić and Canadian-American architect Frank Gehry, one of my design heroes.
But when in Prague, all roads seem to lead to the Old Town Square. There’s a variety of beautifully restored buildings surrounding the square, but the main tourist draw is the city’s Astronomical Clock.
The clock is huge and interesting, but my favourite photo of the clock tower doesn’t show its famous face at all.
I look forward to returning to Prague with my camera in the future, to capture even more of this unique and colourful city.
Love castles, palaces, and ruins like in this article? Us too! Don’t miss the full listing of Castles we’ve visited in Europe and beyond.
- The Ultimate List of Castle Hotels in Belgium - June 10, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to the Best Things to Do in Normandy, France - February 5, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to the Best Restaurants in Brussels, Belgium - January 11, 2019
- A Tale of Two Towers in Belém, Lisbon, Portugal
- Jerónimos Monastery, Lisbon, Portugal, in Photos
- Azulejos – The Colourful Tiles of Lisbon
- Visiting the Castle of São Jorge – Lisbon, Portugal
- Lisbon, Portugal – Our 10 Favourite Photos
- Visiting the Sintra National Palace in Portugal
- Visiting Pena National Palace, Sintra, Portugal
- Visiting Monserrate Palace and Gardens, Sintra, Portugal
- Zahara de la Sierra and the Pueblos Blancos of Andalusia, Spain
- Ronda, Spain – Canyons, Cliffs and Bullrings in Andalusia
- Visiting Gibralfaro Castle and the Alcazaba of Malaga, Spain
- Gibraltar is Weird and We Like it that Way
- The Alhambra and Generalife of Granada, Spain in Photos
- Visiting The Cathedral–Mosque of Córdoba, Spain
- Our Favourite Photos from Granada and Cordoba, Spain
- Visiting the Alcázar of Seville, Spain
- Visiting Seville Cathedral and the Giralda, Andalusia, Spain
- Our 10 Favourite Photos from Seville, Spain
- Our Favourite Photos of Architecture in Prague, Czech Republic
- The Weekend London Tried to Kill Me
- Exploring the Tropical Rainforest of the Eden Project, Cornwall, England
- Otters and Butterflies in Dartmoor, England
- Our Favourite Photos of England