Want a full day trip from Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia to discover Borneo’s nature? A Klias Wetlands river cruise is the perfect way to see proboscis monkeys, macaques, lizards, fireflies and more.
Our trip to Sandakan to see the orang-utans inspired us to discover more of Sabah’s wildlife.
We would cruise down the Klias River searching for Malaysian Borneo’s other famous inhabitant, the proboscis monkey.
Rather than tell you about our river cruise, we decided to show you what we saw. So come along on a photo tour of the Klias River with us:
After several hours driving through the lovely countryside, we arrived at the Klias River, where our intrepid guide scored us front row seats on our small boat.
A group of Chinese tourists filled up the rest of our vessel. Only a few of them spoke English, but everyone was friendly and happy to smile for a photo.
It wasn’t too long before our captain spotted movement in the trees. The proboscis monkeys are quite shy, so we had to look way up to see them in the treetops.
The proboscis monkeys aren’t the only inhabitants of the Klias wetlands. Our captain spotted this monitor lizard sunning himself on a log.
By far the friendliest and most inquisitive monkeys on the Klias are the macaques. These guys couldn’t wait to climb down and check out our boat.
On our return back to our dock, a spontaneous rain storm did its best to soak us. Fortunately, it didn’t last long, and we were treated to a brief but beautiful double rainbow.
Then it was back through the trees to return for a Malaysian buffet dinner.
Check out more great day trips from Kota Kinabalu in Malaysian Borneo from GetYourGuide:
- Highlights from CheeseWeb’s Asian Adventure 2013
- Things to Do in Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo
- Visiting the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre, in Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia
- Klias Wetlands River Cruise, Malaysian Borneo in Photos
- Kinabalu Park UNESCO Site in Malaysian Borneo
- Our Foodie Guide to Hong Kong Restaurants
- Exploring the Markets and Shopping Streets of Hong Kong
- Visiting the Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery in Hong Kong
- Six Things that Surprised Us About Hong Kong