The past five weeks have been big ones here at CheeseWeb. While things have been ticking away, mainly on autopilot, here at CheeseWeb HQ, Andrew and I have been exploring some new corners of Europe.
In early April, my parents came to visit and, as we do, we decided to take them on a European adventure. For me, this included 2 brand new countries, 2 new regions of countries I’ve visited before, 7 new UNESCO World Heritage sites and 8 of my personal bucket list items accomplished. I’d say that was a pretty great 5 weeks!
You can expect to read about many of the places we visited on CheeseWeb in the coming weeks, but as I’m busily sifting through thousands of photos, I thought I’d share a sneak peek at a few of the highlights.
Portugal has been on my list of countries to visit since we moved to Europe. We explored Lisbon, Sintra and the Algarve. One of the highlights of Lisbon was visiting the Monastery of the Hieronymites, as seen here from the Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument to the Discoveries).
From Portugal we headed into the Andalusia region of Spain. We visited castles, towers, cathedrals and palaces. We climbed at least a million stairs and wandered the cobbles streets of 5 different Spanish cities. Of our favourite sites, the incredible Alhambra of Granada really stood out.
As did the endless rows of arches of the Mezquita-Catedral (Mosque–Cathedral) of Cordoba.
One of my bucket list items included watching a flamenco performance in Spain, which we enjoyed in Seville.
After a quick rest in Belgium, I traveled with my parents to the second new country of our travels, the Czech Republic. There we explored the historic centre of Prague.
Our final trip took us to England, where we spent some time in Devon and Cornwall, where one of our highlights was visiting the Eden Project. While the cold, rain kept us inside, we enjoyed the balmy temperatures of the tropical rainforest under Eden’s domes.
You’ll be hearing more about these places and many others, including some new Belgian locations, over the spring and summer. We can’t wait to share our stories and photos with you and as always, we welcome your comments and feedback.
- Photos of our European Travel Highlights
- A Tale of Two Towers in Belém, Lisbon, Portugal
- Jerónimos Monastery, Lisbon, Portugal, in Photos
- Azulejos – The Colourful Tiles of Lisbon
- Visiting the Castle of São Jorge – Lisbon, Portugal
- Lisbon, Portugal – Our 10 Favourite Photos
- Visiting the Sintra National Palace in Portugal
- Visiting Pena National Palace, Sintra, Portugal
- Visiting Monserrate Palace and Gardens, Sintra, Portugal
- Zahara de la Sierra and the Pueblos Blancos of Andalusia, Spain
- Ronda, Spain – Canyons, Cliffs and Bullrings in Andalusia
- Visiting Gibralfaro Castle and the Alcazaba of Malaga, Spain
- Gibraltar is Weird and We Like it that Way
- The Alhambra and Generalife of Granada, Spain in Photos
- Visiting The Cathedral–Mosque of Córdoba, Spain
- Our Favourite Photos from Granada and Cordoba, Spain
- Visiting the Alcázar of Seville, Spain
- Visiting Seville Cathedral and the Giralda, Andalusia, Spain
- Our 10 Favourite Photos from Seville, Spain
- Our Favourite Photos of Architecture in Prague, Czech Republic
- The Weekend London Tried to Kill Me
- Exploring the Tropical Rainforest of the Eden Project, Cornwall, England
- Otters and Butterflies in Dartmoor, England
- Our Favourite Photos of England