It’s been quite some time since I posted a recipe on CheeseWeb but I couldn’t resist sharing this one with you. These muffins would make a great treat for this weekend’s breakfast!
Over the holidays, Andrew and I decided to do a 15 day detox diet to help get our weight and unhealthy eating habits under control. We were both pleased with the results and are working to incorporate more fruits and veggies into our diets and eat less meat.
I’m not a big breakfast eater but I’ve always been a fan of muffins. Unfortunately a lot of muffins are less healthy than simply eating a slice of cake.
When I stumbled across a recipe for low-calorie zucchini (courgette) muffins, I decided to tweak it a bit and this is what I came up with.
Zucchini, Sun-dried Tomato and Halloumi Muffins
(Makes 6-8 muffins)
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 or 1.5 medium sized)
- 1 cup crumbled Halloumi cheese (feta would also work if you can’t get Halloumi)
- 6 chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350⁰ F (or 175⁰ C) and grease a muffin tin or use cupcake papers for easy cleaning.
- Stir the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and oil together using a mixer or food processor until smooth.
- Stir in the zucchini, cheese, tomatoes and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin pan/cups and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan and cool on a rack.
These will keep for a few days in the fridge or you can freeze them for a couple of months.
Approximately 297 calories per muffin
If you bake these muffins, I’d love to know what you think! Leave your comments below.