Wild Mushrooms in Cream Recipe

By alison - September 30, 2010 (Updated: November 24, 2014)

If there’s one thing I love about autumn in Europe, it’s wild mushroom season. I just can’t get enough of those delicious little fungi. Last night I had my first wild mushrooms of the season. so I decided to try out a new recipe. My Wild Mushrooms in Cream recipe is adapted from one in the latest Jamie Oliver cookbook, Jamie Does. It was so easy and delicious I wanted to share it with you.

Wild Mushrooms

You begin by finely slicing a small red onion. Add 30g of butter to a frying pan and when it’s melted add about 300g of mixed wild mushrooms (Chanterelles, trumpets, pied-de-mouton, whatever you can find, just make sure you get them from a reputable source). Fry them together with a good pinch of salt and pepper for 8-10 mins.

Wild Mushrooms in Cream

Next add about 150ml of single cream. It should mix well with the juices from the mushrooms. Chop a handful of curly parsley, stalks and all, and add it to the pan. Cook for another minute or two, until the cream bubbles.

Lemon and parsley

Remove your pan from the heat and add the juice of about half a lemon, a bit more parsley for garnish and adjust your salt and pepper.

Wild Mushrooms in Cream

Voila! Serve with some crusty bread and a glass of chilled white wine. Delicious!

Do you love wild mushrooms too? What’s your favourite way to eat them?

Alison Cornford-Matheson is a Canadian freelance writer and travel photographer and the founder of She is the author of The Foodie Guide to Brussels: Local Tips for Restaurants, Shops, Hotels, and Activities. Alison landed in Belgium in 2005 and, over the years, has become passionate about slow and sustainable travel, in Europe and beyond. She loves to discover hidden gems - be they museums, shops, restaurants, castles, gardens or landscapes, and share them through her words and photos. She has visited 45 countries and is currently slow travelling through North America in an RV, with her husband, Andrew, and two well-travelled cats. You can also follow her work on Google+

1. Comment by Andrew

Andrew September 30, 2010 at 12:22

I can attest to the yumminess of this recipe! It was also very filling, so you don’t need to add a whole lot to it. Definitely the crusty, baguette a l’ancienne, would go well with this dish.

Alison September 30, 2010 at 13:18

It was much more filling than I expected. I agree on the baguette. Yum!

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Wild Mushrooms in Cream Recipe | CheeseWeb: Travel, Photography and Expat Life in Belgium Blog --

3. Comment by Louise

Louise September 30, 2010 at 13:27

LOVE mushrooms, pretty much in the same version as you but also togther with pasta or on top of a omelette. Yummi!

Alison September 30, 2010 at 13:32

Mmm, yes mushrooms and pasta or risotto… Delish!

4. Comment by Calliope

Calliope September 30, 2010 at 15:12

Ooh, I ADORE mushrooms and only recently discovered all the wild ones available here. I can’t wait to try this!!

Alison September 30, 2010 at 16:12

I hadn’t tried all the different varieties until I moved here either. They have so much more flavour!

5. Comment by Nomadic Chick

Nomadic Chick September 30, 2010 at 19:31

Alison, you are quite the cook, hope to experience this in Brussels. That looks divine!!! Why does food constantly give and give? Oh, but it does.

Alison October 1, 2010 at 09:11

Well I will definitely cook for you if you make it to town. We’ll also take you to a few of our favourite restaurants. Belgians are passionate about good food and good ingredients and I guess some of that has rubbed off on me since we’ve been here. Brussels is such a great foodie city. I’m not sure why it doesn’t get more hype.

6. Comment by Cathy

Cathy September 30, 2010 at 23:46

I love wild mushrooms. Here in Germany the locals tend to go out and pick their own. I’m far too cowardly for that… but I do enjoy the ones I buy at the market.

Alison October 1, 2010 at 09:09

Welcome to CheeseWeb Cathy! I agree. I wouldn’t have the first clue what to pick and what not to pick in the wild, especially since some of the poisonous ones look so much like the edibles. I do have a friend who grew up picking mushrooms with her mother and grand-mother and she’s graced me with a couple of big bags full. Wonderful!

7. Comment by Tavus

Tavus October 1, 2010 at 23:49

Oh Yum! I love mushrooms. I love cream. I love Jamie Oliver. I just recently got my first cookbook of his – COOK with Jamie. Love it.
    I gotta try this recipe also. Where can i get some good wild little mushrooms?

Alison November 2, 2010 at 00:05

Check out the markets and even any of the grocery stores at this time of year and you should be able to find a pretty good selection.

8. Comment by Clive

Clive November 1, 2010 at 16:39

Looks delicious, I’m certainly going to get some mushrooms from the Flagey market and give this a go!
    Would you add those large ‘cepes’ as well?

Alison November 2, 2010 at 00:06

I didn’t use any cepes in mine but I’m sure they’d be great in this. You may want to cut them in half so they aren’t too big but I’m sure they’ll taste great!

9. Comment by Bluegreen Kirk

Bluegreen Kirk July 11, 2011 at 15:54

Looks great! Both my wife and I love mushrooms and it looks and seems easy to make. Would white wine go better with it? I like actually like reds.

Alison July 11, 2011 at 16:04

I tend to prefer reds also but this is fairly rich so I think a white would work best. However, whatever makes you happy is the best choice 🙂

• Comment by Andrew

Andrew July 11, 2011 at 18:27

Mmmm… that nice Pinot Gris from Alsace would be great with this recipe! Too bad I can’t remember it for the life of me!