Organic Vegetables Delivered to Your Door – Reason2.be – UPDATE

By alison - October 16, 2012 (Updated: November 19, 2014)

Our First Organic box from Reason2.be

Our First Organic box from Reason2.be

It’s been almost 3 years since first ordered a Reason2.be organic produce box and with all of the recent additions to their services, from meat and fish to organic wines and foods for special diets, I thought it was high time to update this article.

The following was originally posted in February of 2010. You’ll find my updates noted in brackets below.

There have been a lot more veggies in my life (and my belly) lately. After months of discussing it, Andrew and I signed up for a weekly produce box delivery service.  Two weeks ago the first box of organic fruits and vegetables arrived at my door and I’m in veggie heaven.

Because we’ve been trying to eat healthier and more locally, I had been researching places to buy local produce in Brussels. It seemed like a veg box delivery company would be a good option, but there were surprisingly quite a few to choose from. After months of analysis paralysis, in the end, the veg box chose me.

I noticed a huge sign, on the way into my gym one morning, for Reason2.be and I checked out their website when I got home. It was everything I was looking for in a veg box scheme and more, so I decided to give it a try.

One of the things I like about Reason2.be is they offer many options. Since there is only Andrew and me, we opted for the small fruit and vegetable box. There are also medium and large sizes, fruit only, veg only, a ‘favourites box’ and an ‘100% Benelux box.’

Fresh grilled veggies created with Reason2.be produce

Fresh grilled veggies created with Reason2.be produce

[Update] In addition to the boxes listed above there are now ‘Organic Essentials’ boxes, which include produce, meat, eggs and dairy products, available in three sizes. For those wanting more flexibility is the new ‘customisable box.’ You pick exactly what items you want to order from the entire catalogue.

We are also excited about the new Bio wine boxes. These include six bottles of organic wine for €50. The boxes are available in All Red, All White or the ‘Discovery box’ which contains a mix of red, white, rose and sometimes a dessert or fruit wine.

The new organic wines are available to purchase by the bottle as well. We tried a selection of Belgian fruit wines and a gorgeous Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo from Jasci & Marchesani vineyards. [End Update]

My first box contained:

• About 2lbs of carrots which became carrot and ginger soup
  • A bag of Spinach which became spinach salad
  • Green beans that I sautéed with parmesan
  • 4 apples that turned into a baked apple dessert
  • 4 pears that I had to wrestle away from Andrew so I could taste one
  • Celery that was used in mushroom risotto
  • And a small winter squash that we ate as stuffed squash last night

Most of box number 2 hasn’t been eaten yet but it included: oranges, pears, a cabbage, potatoes, a small head of leaf lettuce, some green peppers and that ubiquitous Belgian winter staple, chicon or Belgian Endive.

In addition to the produce, Reason2.be offers organic milk and eggs and has partnered with our butcher, Jack O’Shea’s, to offer free-range and organic meat boxes. We have opted in to the milk and eggs but for now we prefer to get our meat directly from Jack’s.

Spare Ribs and fresh fruit salad made with Reason2.be products

Spare Ribs and fresh fruit salad made with Reason2.be products

[Update] Reason2.be has since added a substantial amount of organic grocery products. These include: cereals, condiments, dried fruit and nuts, pasta and rice, sauces, tea and coffee, tofu, juice, organic ready-meals and even baby food. The selection grows every week.

There is also a small selection of foods for special diets including gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian offerings.

The most recent addition to the product line is a range of sustainably sourced seafood including: salmon, cod, sole, herring, anchovies, mackerel, a variety of smoked fish and salmon rillettes. [End Update]

There are also a number of ‘sustainable services’ Reason2.be subscribers can opt into for €1. [Updated] Reason2.be will recycle the following items:

• Glass
  • Brita Water filters
  • Batteries
  • Light Bulbs
  • Wire coat hangers

Reason2.be also collects the following items for various charities, free of charge: corks, plastic and metal bottle caps, printer cartridges, mobile phones, books, reading glasses, pens and markers.

They will also pick up clothing for delivery to an eco dry-cleaning service.

The boxes and packaging can be recycled each week so there is next to no waste.

If you’re in the Brussels area and are looking for an affordable and convenient way to get your hands on some organic, local produce, give Reason2.be a try.

Do you get a veggie box? I’d love to hear any experiences with Reason2.be or any of the other veggie box services in the area.

Alison Cornford-Matheson is a Canadian freelance writer and travel photographer and the founder of Cheeseweb.eu. She is the author of The Foodie Guide to Brussels: Local Tips for Restaurants, Shops, Hotels, and Activities. Alison landed in Belgium in 2005 and, over the years, has become passionate about slow and sustainable travel, in Europe and beyond. She loves to discover hidden gems - be they museums, shops, restaurants, castles, gardens or landscapes, and share them through her words and photos. She is currently slow travelling through Europe in an RV, with her husband, Andrew, and two well-travelled cats. You can also follow her work on Google+
If you've been following Adrian's cycle tour of Eifel (and you should be!) you may be wondering how to plan a... https://t.co/g5Y1lzEUK3 - 10 hours ago

1. Comment by Amy

Amy February 10, 2010 at 11:31

Fantastic! I’ve been looking for a vegetable box as well, and was having a hard time finding one that really met our needs. Looks like I finally found one! Thanks!

Alison February 10, 2010 at 12:19

Hi Amy and welcome to CheeseWeb! I hope Reason2.be works out for you. I’ve found them to be great so far and very adaptable to different needs. Stop by again soon!

2. Comment by Laura

Laura February 10, 2010 at 14:27

This looks really good. In particular the bottle collection and the milk delivery sound fantastic. It’s fresh milk, right?

I’m not sure I can justify it when we live 10 minutes from an excellent market (and have a bottle bank on the way to the market!).

It would force me to learn some new recipes though… I’m tired of my current repertoire.

Sorry, just having an argument with myself in your comments box!!!

Alison February 10, 2010 at 14:52

Haha, you sound like me Laura. I had the same debate as we live close to a market and butcher. However I find I don’t choose as many vegetables at the store as I should. This sort of forces me to use them. Yes the milk is organic as well (Yay no UHT!) and the eggs are free-range/organic. They also have a few recipes on the site but with the internet and my huge collection of cookbooks I’m finding it fairly easy to come up with ideas. Although after a few months of chicon, this may not be the case any more 🙂

• Comment by Laura

Laura February 12, 2010 at 16:07

I suppose I could always go to the market for items that I really fancied still. I’d probably end up just making loads of weird soups with the unknown box ingredients. Yummy, green bean and pear soup.

3. Comment by Mom

Mom February 10, 2010 at 18:42

We Had a wonderful soup at the Boilerworks in Brunswick Square on the weekend. It was endive and bacon. Might be a way of using up some of that endive.

Alison February 10, 2010 at 19:03

Ooo yum! I’ll have to look for a recipe. I loved Boilerworks when we went a couple of years ago. Great Martinis too 🙂

4. Comment by pugwash pops

pugwash pops February 10, 2010 at 22:53

… you guys are amazing … when you aren’t out adventuring you get adventures delivered to your door … enjoy enjoy enjoy! … PP

Alison February 10, 2010 at 23:21

It’s an adventure in a box!

5. Comment by Niovi

Niovi February 11, 2010 at 12:46

Hi Alison!!

This is exactly what I needed right now… in two weeks I will start giving “solids” to my little one and was desperate for some good quality fresh stuff that will not require me to go very far to pick up. I started reading your blog when we first got here and it still delivers great ideas.

Alison February 11, 2010 at 13:21

Hi Niovi!

I’m so glad this was a good find for you! Reason2.be also have something called baby bio for little ones on their site. Not entirely sure what it is but certainly may be worth checking out for you. Thanks for reading and commenting. It’s great to know that CheeseWeb is helpful to others 🙂

expatraveler February 14, 2010 at 00:04

I love this sort of thing, thanks for bringing it up!!! I know I enjoyed this type of thing a lot in Switzerland. I’m wondering if there are experiences from people that need to have the items dropped off inside an apartment building? How has that treated them?

One complaint I have here in North America is that the variety of veggies are always the same. It’s hard to find good veggies unless you find the small organic stores…

Alison February 17, 2010 at 11:11

With this particular company you can leave instructions to have the box dropped off inside a building if you aren’t there. You can also arrange to pick it up yourself at one of several drop off points.

We were fairly lucky in Halifax to have a good weekend market for fresh veg, but I agree that the normal grocery store selection wasn’t great. I guess it really depends where you are and how much produce is available locally.

7. Comment by Stavros

Stavros February 18, 2010 at 19:58

Hi Allison,

Great Post!

I have ordered as soon as I read your article and we have received our test one off veg and fruit box plus milk and eggs today.
    The fruits, milk and eggs were looking great, however, to our surprise we discovered that the broccoli was inhabited by some tiny bugs (hope organic at least) that we are not willing to taste 🙁
    I think I’m going to give it another shoot, since we are more interested in organic milk and eggs but its quite disappointing to receive something (while ordering for the first time) that is clearly not eatable whilst easily identifiable since it was not wrapped of any kind.

Anyway, I’m going to recommend this service to my friends.

Keep them coming

S

Alison February 19, 2010 at 10:04

Yikes! Well I guess bugs are the downside of not being sprayed with as many chemicals. I was told about one person who was not happy about a particular order they received who contacted customer service. It was dealt with right away and they have had no more problems. I would send them an e-mail or call them with your complaint and I’m sure they will handle it.

8. Comment by Inese

Inese February 22, 2010 at 10:41

This post came right in time for an increased need of vegetables and fruit. My boyfriend and I just bought a juice extractor and are planing to use lots of veggies and fruit. I already started checking out the webpage but I jsut though I’ll ask someone who’s already tried it. Do you think all the veggies and fruit are clean enough to eat with the peel on? Even though I know that most nutrients are right next to the peel I still take the peel off of all the stuff I buy in normal shops. Do you think this place will be different?
    Thank you in advance and cheers!

Alison February 22, 2010 at 11:33

The only things I really worry about in terms of the peel are root veg (which frankly you wouldn’t want to eat the peels of anyway). As long as you give your fruits a good scrubbing they should be fine.

9. Pingback: 2010 A Roller-Coaster Year in Review | Expat Life in Belgium, Travel and Photography | CheeseWeb

10. Pingback: Foodie Fridays « Best of Brussels

11. Pingback: Celiac and Gluten-Free Living in Belgium | Expat Life in Belgium, Travel and Photography | CheeseWeb