MexiGo – Mexican Food in Brussels – Update

By alison - September 11, 2012 (Updated: December 4, 2014)

Tostadas de Pollo al Mole Verde

Tostadas de Pollo al Mole Verde

Ask any international food-lover what cuisine is missing from the endless offerings in Brussels and you’ll get the same answer – Mexican food. Andrew and I have been on a mission to find good Mexican food in Brussels, and now, our mission is finally complete, thanks to MexiGo.

Editor’s Note: This is an update to a post I wrote in 2010. MexiGo is still operating their home delivery service as described below. They have also opened a shop selling Mexican and American products as well as fresh food to take away. We visited the shop recently and I have added this to my review.

Andrew and I love Mexican food. I’m not talking about Tex-Mex, which is often so heavy, and greasy it will stop your heart. If that’s what you’re looking for, in Brussels, you’ll find it a Chi-Chi’s. Of course, you may also find heartburn and food poisoning, but whatever floats your boat…

What I crave is fresh, delicious Mexican food, using real Mexican ingredients like tomatillos, varieties of peppers non- existent in Europe and salsas that don’t come from a jar. I’m talking about the kind of Mexican food we ate weekly in Amsterdam at our beloved Los Pilones. In fact, we’ve been known to get so desperate for a fix; we’ve driven to Amsterdam and back just to have supper.

We are fortunate to live near a lovely little South American restaurant called El Vergel, which I highly recommend. It’s not strictly Mexican food, but it is fresh and delicious. Unfortunately, it is only open for lunch, except for Thursday evenings, and it is closed on weekends.

Mexican Food Delivered Free in Brussels

Last week, thanks to a tip from a fellow expat, the Brussels food scene got even better.  Not only did we discover fresh, delicious Mexican food, but it was delivered right to our door.

MexiGo makes authentic Mexican food and delivers it, free of charge, within Brussels, on a set schedule. You can choose from tacos, tamales, tringas, empanadas, and two weekly dishes. In addition, you can order homemade tortillas and tostadas, salsa, sauces and guacamole, rice, beans and even cocktails. Margaritas anyone?

You order before Wednesday evening and your food is delivered on Friday or Saturday (You can also pick it up yourself on Thursdays). Last Friday, we tried it and were not disappointed.

Our first order from MexiGo

Our first order from MexiGo

Because we weren’t sure what to expect, we ordered a variety of items to try:

• Tacos de Bisteck (beef)
  • Empanadas Caseras de Carne Molida
  • Fiesta Tacos Fried -Chicken
  • Flour Tortillas
  • Tostadas
  • Tostadas de Pollo al Mole Verde (Item of the week)

Great packaging and labeling

Everything is packaged so you can pop it in the fridge and eat it whenever you like. I was very impressed by the labeling. Each element of a dish is marked with a coloured dot, which corresponds to an instruction sheet. The sheet tells you how to prepare and store your dish properly. There are options for both the oven and microwave and the dishes are very quick and easy to prepare.

Great packaging and labeling

Great packaging and labeling

So I’m sure you’re wondering how it tasted. The answer – fantastic! Right after our food was delivered, we tucked into the Tostadas de Pollo. The chicken had a great flavor and was meltingly tender. The tostadas were crispy and delicious. We had some later with my homemade salsa and they were great.

We also tried the fried tacos, a great substitute for our favourite appetiser at Los Pilones, flautas. The empanadas were also tasty and I am in love with the accompanying chipotle sauce. If I could order it by the gallon, consider it sold.

The following day we had the beef tacos and polished off the empanadas. The tacos were also very tasty, although next time I would get the flour tortillas instead of the corn, which we both found a bit grainy.

Empanadas and fried tacos

Empanadas and fried tacos

The portions aren’t large. One dish per person plus an appetiser is probably a reasonable amount. A selection of dishes would make for a great party buffet.

The price was incredibly reasonable considering we had two meals and some added ingredients. Our total was 30 euro and delivery is free; that is next to unheard of in this city.

We’ve already placed our order for this week and are eagerly awaiting our next Mexican fiesta.

Mexican and American Shop in Brussels

When we heard MexiGo opened a shop in Ixelles, it was on our list of places to visit. Unfortunately, it’s on the opposite side of the city from us and it was a case of ‘out of sight, out of mind.’ Finally, we made a point to visit, and now we’re sorry we didn’t go sooner.

Although small, the shop is a treasure trove of Mexican ingredients – dried peppers, sauces, dried beans and cans of re-fried beans, nacho chips, tequila, homemade tortillas and enough hot sauce to start a house fire.

There’s also an odd mix of American foods: Jello, a variety of cereals, Pop-Tarts, Hamburger Helper, Betty Crocker and Aunt Jemima.

For us though, the best part was the take-away counter. We loaded up on fresh-made burritos, fried tacos and empanadas, as well as MexiGo’s delicious guacamole, tomatillo and jalapeno cheddar dips.

In fact, we couldn’t wait to get home so we sampled the huge burritos at one of the small tables on-site. Delicious! We washed them down with Mexican sodas and vowed to go out of our way to return more often.

MexiGo
47 Francois Dons
1050 Ixelles, Brussels
Order On-line at www.mexigo.be

We’ve  created a database of all of the great international grocery shops here in Brussels and for more great restaurants in Belgium and beyond, check out our Restaurant Review page. . What cuisine are you missing? Leave your comments below.

Alison Cornford-Matheson is a Canadian freelance writer and travel photographer and the founder of Cheeseweb.eu. She is the author of The Foodie Guide to Brussels: Local Tips for Restaurants, Shops, Hotels, and Activities. Alison landed in Belgium in 2005 and, over the years, has become passionate about slow and sustainable travel, in Europe and beyond. She loves to discover hidden gems - be they museums, shops, restaurants, castles, gardens or landscapes, and share them through her words and photos. She has visited 45 countries and is currently slow travelling through North America in an RV, with her husband, Andrew, and two well-travelled cats. You can also follow her work on Google+
Cheese + Goats = My personal heaven. We discover an oasis in the cheese desert. https://t.co/Os8U86UEiX - 4 days ago

1. Comment by Amy

Amy July 9, 2010 at 10:52

oh my god. i love you and whoever told you about this!

Alison July 9, 2010 at 10:58

Lol! I know! And apparently it’s been around for a while and I NEVER KNEW! I’m sitting here waiting for this weekend’s order to arrive. It is possible that I *may* get sick of Mexican sometime in the future (like in 50 years…) but I’m already thinking about what to order for week 3 🙂

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention MexiGo - Mexican Food in Brussels | CheeseWeb: Travel, Photography and Expat Life in Belgium Blog -- Topsy.com

3. Comment by Amy

Amy July 9, 2010 at 11:31

sick of mexican food….NEVER. lol! i’ve also been wondering about that el vergel too. glad to hear it’s good. it’s going to the top of my list of places to try. if you want to go there for lunch sometime, let me know. 🙂

Alison July 9, 2010 at 11:43

Oh yes please! Drop me an email. I’m in Bxl until Aug and then back in Sept. I’d love to meet up, especially over latin american food 🙂

4. Comment by Andrew

Andrew July 9, 2010 at 12:17

And the latest delivery has arrived! The man himself does the deliveries and is very friendly. If you speak spanish, english or french (in that order) then have a quick chat… but don’t delay him too long! 🙂

Alison has just yelled upstairs that his guacamole is ‘awesome’! 🙂

Alison July 9, 2010 at 13:02

UPDATE: This week’s order was as delicious as the last and we have plenty more for supper and/or lunch tomorrow. As Andrew said the guac, re-fried beans and cheese sauce are all awesome. I had enchaladas verdes for lunch and they were great too. Mmmm, keep it coming!

6. Comment by Lilacspecs

Lilacspecs July 9, 2010 at 14:43

That looks so good! Tell them we need one in Gent. There were 2 tex-mex places here. The good one shut down and the other one just isn’t good. I miss Mexican. And Japanese. Which is available, but way too expensive.

Alison July 9, 2010 at 15:25

I’ll let him know he need to expand into Flanders 🙂 I agree on the Japanese food. It’s expensive here in Bxl too. We have it occasionally but not nearly as often as we did back in Halifax.

7. Comment by Sion @ paris (im)perfect

Sion @ paris (im)perfect July 9, 2010 at 16:18

Jealousy! I miss Mexican food in Paris, too. I always smuggle black beans into the country after a trip to the States. How wonderful that you have this place!

Also, how long does it take you to get to Amsterdam? I love that you go there for dinner sometimes. That’s commitment! (And very jet-setterly of you, too 🙂 )

Alison July 9, 2010 at 16:26

Well I like the sounds of jet-setterly over desperate 🙂 I always bring back dried chillies of different varieties as they just don’t seem to be available here, let alone fresh ones.

Provided there’s no traffic it’s about three hours or so to A’dam from us. If you take the train it’s about 4.5 hours with all the stops. Thalys goes to A’dam now in theory in an hour and a half although when Andrew took it, it took as long as the normal train. I think it’s the Canadian in us that prompts us to do silly things like jump in the car to drive for three hours to eat. We’ve also been known to go to Paris overnight for a party so you never know 🙂

8. Comment by Cathy

Cathy July 12, 2010 at 16:40

YEAH!!!!! Hi Alison….Been busy cleaning for the in-laws and needed a break. Blog reading is my fav break. Stopped in to see what you were up to and saw this post. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the food or maybe better said – loved the food. We were equally as excited when we first found him.

Have fun in Canada and hope to see you when you get back. Maybe I’ll have found another new restaurant to tell you about.

Alison July 13, 2010 at 09:50

It was great! We’ve loved everything in both orders. The only reason I’m not getting more this weekend is because we will be away. We’ll definitely have to make a date for when I get back. I’ll drop you a note then. I’m going to *try* to keep blogging while I’m gone so check back 🙂

9. Comment by Dallas

Dallas July 12, 2010 at 16:46

I’ve heard of this but haven’t tried it. Sounds delicious! I just might have to give it a try once the baby arrives and I don’t feel like cooking – or maybe even sooner. I could really go for some tasty Mexican food.

Alison July 12, 2010 at 17:05

It really is delicious! They way it is packaged makes it really easy to prepare so it would be great when the baby comes 🙂

10. Comment by Cathy

Cathy July 13, 2010 at 09:17

Yeah!! So glad you liked or should I say loved Mexigo. We were equally as thrilled when we first discovered Mexigo. And such a fun article with of course great photos. You need to send this link to them – they could use it as advertising!

Are you ready for your big US/Canada trip? Have fun!

Alison July 13, 2010 at 09:50

We did send it to him and he was so excited! By the responses I’ve been getting here and on Twitter, I think he’s going to have some new customers soon!

11. Comment by Tavus

Tavus July 14, 2010 at 10:54

Hi, Wow, this is great to know! I really wanted some Mexican when I was pregnant. Now the baby is two months old but I would still want some Mex! I think I’ll be ordering food for the weekend very soon.
    Thank you for sharing! Cheers,
    ~ T

Alison July 15, 2010 at 08:38

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

12. Comment by N

N July 20, 2010 at 23:10

OMG!!! I’m sooo happy that you’ve shared this up-until-now-very-secret-information :-)!! Jeezes, my husband P is mexican, his mom (mexican too) also live in Brussels – and *we* didn’t even know about this! We will try it out for sure!

Alison July 21, 2010 at 08:52

I saw that just this week they added a new ‘Mexican Grocery’ section as well. I had no idea this post would be SO popular! I think he’s going to have a bunch of new customers on his hands 🙂

13. Pingback: MexiGo

14. Comment by Ade

Ade October 16, 2010 at 20:18

I’ve never been one for reading blogs, never been patient enough, however I came upon your blog by chance and I must say I am truly hooked…….lol…….this is such good info, considering I also love Mexican food and have fallen off the CHICHI’s wagon for a while, I can’t wait to give it a go.

Thanks Alison and Andrew 🙂

Alison October 18, 2010 at 11:57

Thanks for stopping by Ade and I’m glad you’re enjoying CheeseWeb. It’s always good to know that the information we post here is useful to others!

15. Comment by Ingrid

Ingrid September 11, 2012 at 10:42

Sounds fantastic, will definitely try it out. Thanks for the great tip! I was wondering if you know of more good places that deliver lunch-like food for a reasonable price? This is something I’ve been looking for here in Brussels when organising lunches for several people!

Alison September 11, 2012 at 11:07

Hi Ingrid! Definitely check out Britxos, run by the catering company La Britannique. Their food is amazing and they offer lunches as well.

16. Comment by Amy

Amy September 11, 2012 at 15:44

Nice to see that they’ve expanded and are doing so well!

Alison September 11, 2012 at 15:59

The shop has been open for about a year now, but it’s on the opposite side of town from us, so we just never made it there before. It’s pretty close to Andrew’s classes, so now he’s stopping by after school 🙂

17. Comment by Nick

Nick September 11, 2012 at 19:56

Wow! Thanks for the update on this! I didn’t see it the first time around and now my mind is flashing back to childhood memories seeing that they offer Kraft Mac & Cheese!!! And of course, delicious Mexican which I need to try a.s.a.p.

Alison September 11, 2012 at 20:17

Our pleasure Nick! If you have a hankering for cavity inducing American cereals, they have a little selection… the kind my Mom would never let me eat as a kid 🙂

18. Comment by Agness (@Agnesstramp)

Agness (@Agnesstramp) October 10, 2012 at 07:38

I love Mexican food! I couldn’t stop thinking of it when being in China and your post made me hungry 🙂 Maybe I will get some in Siem Reap :-P. The food looks yummy.

Alison October 10, 2012 at 09:34

I thought it was hard to find good Mexican in Europe… it must be even tougher in Asia! Good luck 🙂

Alison October 10, 2012 at 09:34

19. Pingback: Stuff It | MontgomeryFest

20. Comment by Fiona

Fiona October 22, 2012 at 16:12

Sounds delicious – authentic Mexican food seems to be something we’re lacking in a lot of countries, including Ireland, the photographs look good enough to eat!

21. Comment by Graciela

Graciela January 8, 2013 at 17:54

I love this post! I’m a Mexican living in Gent, Belgium and I just googled Mexigo and Ima bout 58 minutes away. I looked at the list of ingredient that are sold there and their actually LEGIT! Except they need to add Tapatio lol 🙂 Thanks for the info.

Graciela

Alison January 9, 2013 at 14:40

They are fantastic! It’s a small shop but full of tasty goodies. Let us know if you try them out 🙂