Grand Canyon & Zion National Park First Look

By alison - August 10, 2010 (Updated: November 24, 2014)

Our time in Las Vegas is zooming by, but I wanted to share a sneak peak of what we’ve been up to. Our weekend was fantastic and Mother Nature was in her full glory. Here’s a little taste of our hikes in the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park.

Our first stop was Zion National Park where we hiked the Narrows (photos to come soon). Our second stop was the Cayon Overlook Trail. It was well worth the hike for the views of sunset over the canyon.

Hikers on the Canyon Overlook Trail in Zion National Park

Hikers on the Canyon Overlook Trail in Zion National Park

The following day we made the most spectacular drive out to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It’s a cliché for me to say there are no words or pictures that can accurately describe the Grand Canyon, but it’s true. I feel blessed to have been able to witness it for myself.

View from Bright Angel Point at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

View from Bright Angel Point at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Our trip would not have been possible (or nearly as much fun) without this guy and his great group of friends who allowed us to tag along on their adventures. A huge thank you to everyone and many more photos to come!

Robert with Wiley, Lucy and Shayna

Robert with Wiley, Lucy and Shayna

Alison Cornford-Matheson is a Canadian freelance writer and travel photographer and the founder of Cheeseweb.eu. She is the author of The Foodie Guide to Brussels: Local Tips for Restaurants, Shops, Hotels, and Activities. Alison landed in Belgium in 2005 and, over the years, has become passionate about slow and sustainable travel, in Europe and beyond. She loves to discover hidden gems - be they museums, shops, restaurants, castles, gardens or landscapes, and share them through her words and photos. She is currently slow travelling through Europe in an RV, with her husband, Andrew, and two well-travelled cats. You can also follow her work on Google+
@PickledSpruit Thanks! Yes, I love Romanian food too. :) - 10 hours ago

1. Comment by Sion @ paris (im)perfect

Sion @ paris (im)perfect August 10, 2010 at 23:21

I have been wanting to go to the Grand Canyon for years! Stunning! Glad you’re having a great trip so far!

Alison August 10, 2010 at 23:57

It’s absolutely breath-taking and I highly recommend the less visited North Rim. Incredible!

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Grand Canyon & Zion National Park Photos | CheeseWeb: Travel, Photography and Expat Life in Belgium Blog -- Topsy.com

3. Comment by Sherry Ott

Sherry Ott August 11, 2010 at 08:58

I want more, I want more! I bet you are having a fun time – hard to balance all of the photography editing and writing with traveling – right?! So strange – but one of my friends and I are now considering doing a week in this area – so I’m really excited about your Narrows photos since he is intimidated by it. I need to prove to him that it’s not as hard and scary as he thinks…at least I hope it’s not!

Alison August 11, 2010 at 23:54

Oh man, if I can do it, anyone can. It’s not hard or scary at all. Just wear clothes you don’t mind getting wet and a walking stick is helpful but not necessary. I didn’t have one because it was too much with the camera. I do recommend taking lots of zip-locks to stash camera and other electronics in.

expatraveler August 16, 2010 at 01:36

beautiful pics as always!!!

5. Comment by Shannon OD

Shannon OD August 17, 2010 at 18:17

That second shot is just stunning! I can’t wait to see the others you’ve taken!

6. Comment by Lee

Lee August 20, 2010 at 08:46

Beautiful! Looks like a great trip – can’t wait to see more photos, what you’ve posted so far are stunning.

7. Comment by Ant Stone

Ant Stone August 26, 2010 at 05:18

Photographs of the Grand Canyon never fail to amaze me. Our planet’s just amazing, isn’t it? I heard the other day you could do rafting trips, I wouldn’t mind trying that.