Happy Canada Day!

By alison - July 1, 2010 (Updated: November 24, 2014)

Canada Balloon

Happy Canada Day!

Just because I love living in Brussels, doesn’t mean I don’t miss Canada. In fact, I think living outside your home country makes you even more patriotic, as Marilla touched on in her interview.

I’m sending out a huge thanks to fellow Canadian abroad, Tammy, who posted this video which I absolutely love. I may have even gotten a little choked up…. just a little. *sniff*

You see, it was filmed in Halifax, my home for ten years. There are scenes shot at the Peggy’s Cove lighthouse. Andrew grew up just down the road from those rocks and we spent a lot of time there. I recognise every building in the background and just about every tree and rock in that video.

I love all of the references in the song to things I miss and most of all I love the self-depricating humour so common to my fellow Canuks. We love to laugh at ourselves.

So wherever you are and wherever you’re from, I hope you have a fantastic Canada day! I can’t wait to walk those streets and stand on those rocks in August!

Alison Cornford-Matheson is a Canadian freelance writer and travel photographer and the founder of Cheeseweb.eu. She is the author of The Foodie Guide to Brussels: Local Tips for Restaurants, Shops, Hotels, and Activities. Alison landed in Belgium in 2005 and, over the years, has become passionate about slow and sustainable travel, in Europe and beyond. She loves to discover hidden gems - be they museums, shops, restaurants, castles, gardens or landscapes, and share them through her words and photos. She is currently slow travelling through Europe in an RV, with her husband, Andrew, and two well-travelled cats. You can also follow her work on Google+
Today I'm sharing one of my favourite new discoveries in New Brunswick / Nouveau-Brunswick, the Jardin Botanique... https://t.co/fCt4TxYUa9 - 4 days ago

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Happy Canada Day! | CheeseWeb: Travel, Photography and Expat Life in Belgium Blog -- Topsy.com

2. Comment by Andrew

Andrew

Andrew July 1, 2010 at 13:05

Yay! Happy Canada Day! I liked the video too… love that they integrated the Heritage commercials 🙂

Let’s hope for some sun in August when we’re visiting!

Happy Canada Day to all canucks wherever you are!

Alison July 1, 2010 at 16:58

The ode to Heritage commercials was great 🙂

3. Comment by Unexpected Traveller

Unexpected Traveller July 1, 2010 at 16:38

Happy Canada day to you two and all Canadians out there!

Alison July 1, 2010 at 16:58

Thank you!

expatraveler July 1, 2010 at 17:04

I love your hot air balloon. And the video is great, very interesting to know that’s where Andrew grew up..

Alison July 1, 2010 at 17:12

Thanks! The balloon was taken ages ago at the Sussex Balloon Fiesta near where I grew up in Saint John.

5. Comment by Amy

Amy July 1, 2010 at 20:01

Happy Canada Day! Will you do something special to celebrate?

Alison July 2, 2010 at 14:37

Thank Amy! We were too slack this year to plan anything but we keep meaning to. We just hung out on the terrace and enjoyed the sun 🙂

6. Comment by pugwash pops

pugwash pops July 2, 2010 at 19:52

Happy Canaday! We had a great day in Pugwash, marched in the monster parade for Communities in Bloom and caught a bit of highland games and parts of the concert at the park, it ended with a two hour show by the Sons of Maxwell (Dave Carroll of United Breaks Guitar fame) and fab fireworks, are ya teary-eyed yet? The balloon is wonderful and the video too … you can add that the driving through the village scenes were actually Indian Harbour, how’s that for down-home teary-eyed-ness! (even got me goin!) Happy Day to all expats, have fun! love to all … PP (A big shout out for the Netherlands, eh?, pretty impressive win over Brazil!)

Alison July 5, 2010 at 09:33

I love Sons of Maxwell! Cheri’s hubby Joe often plays with them. Glad you guys had a great Canada day! We had a nice day too and are looking forward to a series of Canada Day’s next month 🙂