Keukenhof Tulip Gardens 2010

By alison - April 22, 2010 (Updated: November 24, 2014)

Keukenhof Gardens

Keukenhof Gardens

The Netherlands is known for tulips and every spring, millions of garden tourists travel to the biggest tulip garden in the world – Keukenhof Gardens.

Situated in the middle of South Holland’s tulip fields, in the town of Lisse, Kuekenhof is a magical place for garden lovers. Over 7 million flower bulbs bloom every spring, in the park. Although it is only open from the end of March to the end of May, the Keukenhof has seen 44 million visitors in its 60 years.

Two of those 44 million guests have been Andrew and I. We’ve visited Keukenhof every year, for the past 6 years. And every year has brought something different and special.

The tulip is easily one of my favourite flowers. Every year, I am blown away by just how many shapes, sizes, colours, and patterns it comes in. As blub growers continue to transform this amazing plant into new varieties, I am always surprised by what they manage to come up with next.

Tulipa 'Talitha'

Tulipa ‘Talitha’
Single Late Tulip 'Flaming Club'

Single Late Tulip ‘Flaming Club’

But Keukenhof isn’t just tulips. In many ways, Keukenhof defies description. It’s something you need to see to believe. Yes, it’s the world’s largest spring bulb garden. But it’s also so much more.

The name Keukenhof comes from its traditional roots as a kitchen garden. There is still a formal herb garden on site. There is also a maze and children’s area. There’s an orchid house and a floral design display. There are water gardens and woodland gardens. There’s even a traditional Dutch windmill with views overlooking the surrounding bulb fields.

Lilium 'Push Off' Lily

Lilium ‘Push Off’ Lily
Phalaenopsis Orchid 'Phalubein' Anthura

Phalaenopsis Orchid ‘Phalubein’ Anthura
Windmill overlooking the bulb fields of South Holland

Windmill overlooking the bulb fields of South Holland
It's all in the details.

It’s all in the details.
Kuekenhof Gardens, Lisse, The Netherlands

Kuekenhof Gardens, Lisse, The Netherlands

One of my favorite areas of Keukenhof every year is the Inspiration Gardens. These are small display gardens set up by different designers and garden centres to show different trends in garden design. There are always some unique ideas.

Using preserves in a retaining wall

Using preserves in a retaining wall
Designing with garden trugs

Designing with garden trugs
Bring the indoors out

Bring the indoors out
From Russia With Love - This year's theme

From Russia With Love – This year’s theme

Even if you aren’t mad about flowers, you can’t help but enjoy the incredible sights and colours of the Keukenhof.

Have you been to the Keukenhof? What was you favourite part. Leave your comments below.

Alison Cornford-Matheson is a Canadian freelance writer and travel photographer and the founder of Cheeseweb.eu. She is the author of The Foodie Guide to Brussels: Local Tips for Restaurants, Shops, Hotels, and Activities. Alison landed in Belgium in 2005 and, over the years, has become passionate about slow and sustainable travel, in Europe and beyond. She loves to discover hidden gems - be they museums, shops, restaurants, castles, gardens or landscapes, and share them through her words and photos. She has visited 45 countries and is currently slow travelling through North America in an RV, with her husband, Andrew, and two well-travelled cats. You can also follow her work on Google+
Cheese + Goats = My personal heaven. We discover an oasis in the cheese desert. https://t.co/Os8U86UEiX - 5 hours ago

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Keukenhof Tulip Gardens 2010 | CheeseWeb -- Topsy.com

2. Comment by tez

tez April 22, 2010 at 11:36

You know Al, I really love your photos… I have always loved tulips, but until seeing your photos I never realised there were so many beautiful and unique kinds.

I’d LOVE to go to Keukenhof Tulip Gardens one day – it’ll definetly go on my ‘list.’

Alison April 22, 2010 at 12:00

Thanks Tez! I had no idea how many there were either until I started going to Keukenhof. Every year there are more. This year we saw a lot that were labeled ‘unregistered’. Not sure why there were so many this year but expect to see even more tulip varieties to come.

As for going there someday you definitely should! We’ve got a futon with your name on it if you ever come to Europe 🙂

3. Comment by Sion @ paris (im)perfect

Sion @ paris (im)perfect April 22, 2010 at 11:45

Hi Alison. Well, this confirms it. You *do* need to do that flower/garden photography e-book 🙂

Lovely photos. I’ll have to make it to this one year!

Alison April 22, 2010 at 12:01

Aw thanks Sion! You should definitely make the trip. You can take the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam now. Keukenhof is just a hop skip and jump from the airport where the train conveniently stops 🙂

4. Comment by Anneke

Anneke April 22, 2010 at 12:18

Hi Ms. Alison. I really finds you a woman of talent. I love your photos and the way you blogged out your thoughts.

Keep blogging and waiting for your new photo adventure.

Alison April 22, 2010 at 12:33

Thank you Anneke! That’s very kind of you 🙂

5. Comment by Charlie's Tribe

Charlie's Tribe April 22, 2010 at 12:33

Wow, they’re gorgeous photos! Alison, you have such an amazing eye for these images and colours!

Alison April 22, 2010 at 13:07

Thank you so much! *blushing*

expatraveler April 23, 2010 at 04:25

Using the preserves in the retaining wall was by far my fav. Great vibrant pics as always!!!!

Alison April 28, 2010 at 11:53

Thanks so much Jen!

7. Comment by Nomadic Chick

Nomadic Chick April 27, 2010 at 23:09

My God, what stunning photos. You are so talented. I adore flowers, could never imagine a world without them.

Alison April 28, 2010 at 11:54

Oh thank you! I love flowers too. Unfortunately I’ve not inherited my Mom’s green-thumb but I do love to photograph and enjoy other people’s gardens 🙂

8. Pingback: Kasteeltuinen Arcen Gardens | CheeseWeb

9. Comment by Chad

Chad August 1, 2010 at 22:50

In the photo ‘Designing with Trugs” what is the type of flower in the purple trug in the upper left hand corner? The others look like pansies, but that flower I can’t figure out.
    Chad

Alison August 2, 2010 at 12:36

I’m pretty sure it’s a type of Aster.