My new room

By alison - June 21, 2007 (Updated: November 28, 2014)

So I thought I’d show you what I’ve been up to for the past few days…

This is my new office/studio/craft room! (This is mainly the craft room part because the office hasn’t migrated down stairs yet and the studio is yet to be built… but I’m getting there.
I have loads of storage space and after two years here, I can actually get at my craft supplies and they aren’t all buried in the guest room.
The only actual curtains in my house!
This is the best part of my new table… a built in lightbox for slides, tracing stuff… whatever (yes, that’s a Bonsai tree).
My other favorite part of the room is my bulletin board. It is full of postcards, tickets and magnets I’ve collected on my travels and wonderful things my friends have sent me. The only problem is that I need at least two more to fit all of the rest of the things I want to post. My desk is covered with cards that my wonderful friends and family have made and sent me since I’ve been here. It’s great to look at them all and remember that somebody loves me 🙂
This little cart beside my desk is going to come in handy when the photo studio is set up. For now it’s a great place to store my rubber stamps (there are two drawers of them currently, and another bin full of ink… I really need to start using this stuff)
These are the storage bins that I love! They are actually meant for kids toys. They come out of the unit and have lids so I can sort all of my supplies and access them with ease!
My chair was actually the display model and the last one in the store (Yay discount!) Buddy is not impressed that I can now lock him out of my work area!
I haven’t yet posted pics of my outdoor oasis so here it is. Lots of blooms now and more on the way. There are sunflowers, pansies, an olive tree, ivy, two thymes, sage, basil, rosemary, two lavenders and lots more.
This is my little table that I am so happy about. I can sit out here and write while I drink my morning coffee (when it’s actually sunny here).

Alison Cornford-Matheson is a Canadian freelance writer and travel photographer and the founder of Cheeseweb.eu. She is the author of The Foodie Guide to Brussels: Local Tips for Restaurants, Shops, Hotels, and Activities. Alison landed in Belgium in 2005 and, over the years, has become passionate about slow and sustainable travel, in Europe and beyond. She loves to discover hidden gems - be they museums, shops, restaurants, castles, gardens or landscapes, and share them through her words and photos. She is currently slow travelling through Europe in an RV, with her husband, Andrew, and two well-travelled cats. You can also follow her work on Google+
If you've been following Adrian's cycle tour of Eifel (and you should be!) you may be wondering how to plan a... https://t.co/g5Y1lzEUK3 - 10 hours ago

Alison June 21, 2007 at 20:44

Christina – Shhh, don’t tell Andrew, but I actually kind of like organizing things. Cleaning not so much, but organizing is fun 🙂
    Ame – Buddy has the rest of the house… I need at least one room with minimal cat hair 🙂

2. Comment by Ame

Ame June 21, 2007 at 14:54

Congrats Al! You have a gorgeous space, inside and out. Looks to be very inspiring. 🙂 But, poor Buddy Bud!

3. Comment by christina

christina June 21, 2007 at 20:23

Oh wow, you’re so organized! Can you give me lessons? 🙂 I would SO love to claim a space just for me, but alas, there is none to be had in our smallish house.
    The outdoor sanctuary is lovely. It looks very peaceful.

4. Comment by Kathryn

Kathryn June 22, 2007 at 16:39

wow! Look at all those rubber stamps! I want to come over and stamp things!!
    Is this the same house as before, in Everburg? What did this room used to be? It’s my fantasy…a CRAFT room!! The funny thing is we had the space for it, but I just never got the gumption to get all the things I needed to make it happen. Just as well I guess, it would just be that much more I’d have to move in a month! But you’ve inspired me to do it soon!! Or at least to come over once and enjoy yours 😉

5. Comment by Megan Holsapple

Megan Holsapple June 23, 2007 at 18:05

Hey Al!
    I just wanted to pop in and say I love your blog. It seems like you are doing really well. Your photography is amazing and I am so happy to see that you are doing what you love. I have you bookmarked and will check back every day.

Alison June 25, 2007 at 13:07

Kathryn – Come play with me and my stamps anytime! (The picture only shows part of my collection) 🙂 This is the room in the basement that opens on to the garden. It was Caesar’s room and after he died it’s been empty.
    Hey Megan! I’m glad you found me. I had a quick peak at your blog and I need to go back and read more. As you can see I’ve been a bit busy this week 🙂

7. Comment by pugwash pops

pugwash pops June 25, 2007 at 16:01

Yo belgique,
    Fabulous studio … we’re still in the midst of house reno’s so my studio is still a matter of imagining the possibilities (made more difficult by the clutter of boxes and stuff) … likely still in that state when you visit so I will welcome your ideas and experience … you’ve done a great job and the garden access is a point of envy. The oasis is quite a spot … I never thought of you guys as two-thymers but there has to be a reason to create such a delightful little hide-out … enjoy …
    pp

8. Comment by Mom

Mom June 25, 2007 at 22:30

Your new work space looks sooo organized, I think you may have inherited some of my genes after all. Actually, seeing all those blooms on your patio, I know there are some Mom genes in that body of yours.(I had doubts in your teen years but I guess they just took a few years to emerge)Looks great dear, and I’m glad you’re able to get back to your crafting.Mom